Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Welcome!

Life with my two sweet boys...follow along!

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Grocery Shopping

I've clipped coupons for as long as I can remember. This is not new to me; I've always gotten excited about saving money. I figure, any money I save on groceries or other household items is money I can spend on the fun stuff!

For a FULL, DETAILED plan, check out my favorite blog http://www.moneysavingmom.com/. She has great tips on where to get coupons, free items, and weekly deals at places you shop like Kroger, Target and CVS.

Here are some of my tips when grocery shopping.

1. Shop with a list and STICK to your list. See what is in your pantry when planning the meals for the week. Use what you already have first!

2. Shop somewhere they double and triple coupons--Kroger, Tom Thumb and Albertsons. I shop at Kroger.

3. Buy what is on sale. Especially when it comes to produce. Plus, when you buy what is on sale, you'll get a better variety. This variety is a very healthy way to eat. Strawberries and carrots one week, blueberries and grapes the next.

4. Use the store ads that come in the mail on Tuesday and wait until the item goes on sale, then use your coupon. For example, this week Kroger has McCormick's Grill Seasoning on sale for $1. Normally, it's $2. I had a .50 coupon, they doubled it, so I got the seasoning for free.

5. You can combine store coupons with manufactures coupons for extra savings. Combine this with a store sale and you will get a great deal. For example, two weeks ago Target had Mott's applesauce cups on sale for $1.66. I printed an online coupon ($.50) from Target's website and combined that with a coupon ($1.00) from the paper. I got the applesauce for $.16 each. Click here to see where to print Target coupons. (CVS gives store coupons with your receipts. Tom Thumb store coupons are usually on the ad. Target coupons come in the mail or online).

6. Check out http://www.afullcup.com/ & http://www.coupons.com/ for online coupons. They had $5 off Huggies diapers last week.

7. The best way to save money is to shop on the outer edges of the store. Think produce, dairy, and meat counter. The inner isles with cereal, crackers, cookies, chips, frozen meals, frozen waffles, etc are full of preservatives, calories and high prices. You'll save money and eat healthier.

8. Unless it's on sale and a really good sale...don't buy makeup, toiletries, detergent, etc from a grocery store. Wal Mart and Target are financially better options.

9. Don't be afraid to buy in bulk and freeze. Chicken breasts were on sale a few weeks ago at $1.67 per lb, so I bought several packages and froze them. As I was planning my meals for the week, I saw I had chicken, so I planned accordingly. If I bought it today, it would have been $4.29 lb. When bell peppers are on sale, I will buy several, dice or slice them and freeze them. We add red bell pepper to almost everything we eat. I read that the orange ones have the most vitamins, but I like red better!

10. Finally, think of it as a game. Be excited when you save money. Today, I bought all my groceries for the week Wednesday to Wednesday. I spent $32.18 For you skeptics out there, here is my meal plan for the next few days. Proof we are not eating Ramen and Oatmeal.
Wed-Chicken Cordon Bleu with potatoes and green beans
Thurs - Pasta Primavera with chicken
Fri - Soft Tacos and guacamole
Sat - Crunchy Honey Mustard Baked chicken legs and corn on the cob

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Very well written! I print and clip coupons every week and hold onto them until the store puts those items on sale, it's usually a week or two later. I love shopping at Sprouts for produce, and on Wednesdays their sale items overlap, bonus!

JEdge said...

Can you share some of your recipes? Your menu sounds great! I need to follow you around the store and buy what you buy...$32!?!?!