Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Welcome!

Life with my two sweet boys...follow along!

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Buttermilk Pancakes

I have decided to post some of my best tips and hints I've accumulated over the last year. Most are ways to save money, but others will save time or be healthy alternatives, too. A great way to save money is to avoid pre-made, boxed foods. Most are filled with sugar, salt and trans fat. Here is a recipe for buttermilk pancakes. I make these 2 batches at a time and freeze them. In the morning, I pop them into the microwave and top them with applesauce and cinnamon, yogurt or fresh fruit. Lincoln loves these!

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 T brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
1 c buttermilk
2 T canola oil

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture and set aside. Combine the egg, buttermilk and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Batter should be lumpy. Pour batter in 1 inch circles onto a hot skillet.

From start to finish, this takes less than 15 minutes. The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. All these ingredients you should already have, aside from the buttermilk. I make my own buttermilk...put 1T white vinegar in a measuring cup and add enough milk to make 1 cup. Let sit for 5 min, stir and this can be used in lieu of buttermilk.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Yum! I will definitely make these!

Sarah said...

Those sound yummy... especially while I'm on the no carb diet! :D

candicebishop said...

Can't wait to try them!

amy smitherman said...

yummmmy!thanks for sharing marci!

Amy said...

I remembered reading this a while back... I am making a batch of these right now in triplicate! :) Thanks for sharing and also thanks for sharing your other tips. I googled some muffin recipes but some seem complicated with many ingredients. If you have some muffin recipes you wouldn't mind sharing, I would love a few. I know you are busy though so no worries if now isn't a good time.